Among the semi-finalists, there are six chemists, five physicists, four biologists, and four biotechnologists, as well as representatives of other disciplines – from architecture to space engineering (the list of names of the semi-finalists can be found at the end of the email. If necessary, I have contact details to each of the semi-finalists).
The candidates come from all over Poland. Most of them live in Warsaw (10). Kraków comes second (5), and the third belongs ex aequo to Poznań and Gliwice. There is one candidate from each of the following cities: Częstochowa, Nowy Targ, Polkowice, Sosnowiec and Włocławek. The semi-finalists’ age ranges from 18 to 44. They are all related to the academic environment. What awaits them now is a live presentation. Already on 03 March 2012, the candidates for the scientific idol will appear on the stage and, for three minutes, talk about their scientific work in the most attractive and most intelligible way possible.
They will be assessed by the jury composed of:
- Irena Cieślińska – populariser of science, editor of many popular science magazines, deputy director of the Copernicus Science Centre,
- Konrad Bayer – associate professor of physical sciences, member of the Programme Council of the Copernicus Science Centre,
- Jacek Wasilewski, Ph.D. – media expert and specialist in rhetoric,
- Marzena Rogalska – radio and television journalist.
The jury will select 10 finalists who will appear on the stage again on 19 May 2012. It will be then that we will get to know the name of the first Polish scientific idol. The winner will win 30 000 PLN, and will represent our country in the international final of the competition, held in Cheltenham (UK).
The semi-finals are open to audiences: 03 March 2012 from 10.00 to 19.00 at the Copernicus Science Centre. Admission is free.
All those who correctly predict the winners will receive tickets to the laboratories of the Copernicus Science Centre.
The event will also be broadcast live at www.famelab.org.pl.http://www.famelab.org.pl
Semifinalists of Famelab:
- Dariusz Aksamit (Warszawa)
- Radosław Gajda (Warszawa)
- Irena Grześ (Kraków)
- Maciej Jasiński (Warszawa)
- Jan Jezierski (Gliwice)
- Monika Koperska (Kraków)
- Joanna Kreczko (Gdańsk)
- Michał Krupiński (Sosnowiec)
- Jan Major (Częstochowa)
- Monika Mętrak (Warszawa)
- Michał Mikulski (Gliwice)
- Anna Misiewicz (Poznań)
- Konrad Nesteruk (Warszawa)
- Katarzyna Pajerska (Nowy Targ)
- Tomasz Pawłowski (Warszawa)
- Maciej Pieczarka (Polkowice)
- Agata Rakszewska (Włocławek)
- Paulina Sobolewska (Warszawa)
- Krzysztof Sozański (Warszawa)
- Marcin Stolarski (Warszawa)
- Katarzyna Szatkowska (Poznań)
- Emilia Walczyk-Tytko (Kraków)
- Jan Wiśniewski (Warszawa)
- Tomasz Wróbel (Kraków)
- Marcin Zastawnik (Kraków)